IDC Event Index
Here we tell you of day to day events as well as act as an index to other articles.
- 19 July Pat on back time, with behind-the-scenes-work completed. Click here for details
- 15 July Brief bump upsteam from us around 0530 resulted in temporary loss of access to connectivity. It was restored 15 minutes later. A planned maintnenace is scheduled between 0500 and 0600 on Tuesday 16 July. The outage itself will be 10 - 15 minutes duration while equipment is changed over.
- 5 July Planned maintenance work for air conditioning in the Server Room has been completed. New units are in and running along with additional humidifier assets to control the environment.
- 2 July Upgrade work on air conditioning in the Server Room continues. An old unit has been retired and one of the two replacement wall units has been brought online.
- 30 June A handful of connections were 'wedged' (technical term) following upstream maintenance overnight. Our montoring sensed an issue. We traced the problem and remedied from there.
- 21 June A handful of sites dropped offline for 15 minutes 12:45 - 13:00. Root cause unknown following checking everything within our realm. We are continuing to monitor.
Maintenance planned for Saturday evening.
- 15 June Power to the campus went off for a time. Backup kicked in and everything remained online and protected. Things returned to normal after approximately three hours once supply was stable.
- 16 May Planned overnight maintenance was completed without issue. Air conditioning maintenance work is proceeding. One unit has been replaced. Work is underway to prepare for another to be retired.
- 10 May Reminder for network maintenance planned later this week. Some maintenance work is also planned to replace two air conditioning units in the Server Room. This will take place over the next week to ten days.
- 9 May Planned maintenance coming up on 15 May. Click here for details.
- 15 April Scheduled review of airconditioning systems. A couple of issues identified so further maintenance will be carried out, heading off problems developing.
- 13 April A brief power supply outage to the entire campus, lasting about 15 seconds on Saturday morning. Protection systems all worked as designed. UPS protected systems, generator kicked in and the site kept running. Once supply restored and was stable failback was carried out.
- 9 April Chorus are rolling out a series of updates across the network. This affects bascially all end connections. The work is being done in the early hours of the morning, any time between midnight and 06:00. You connection may go offline for up to 20 minutes while the work takes place. In most cases once the work has been done it will simply return online.
- 5 April Some server maintenance carried out overnight. Click here for details.
- 26 March Core network upgrades to be performed overnight. Click here for details.
- 24 March Service issues detected. Resolved in conjunction with upstream providers. Click here for details.
- 18 March Scheduled maintenance planned Click here for details.
- 14 March An authentication issue arose for a handful of connections. Once we became aware of the issue we were able to isolate the problem and remedy. We will review the events surrounding this occuring to prevent it happening again in the future.
Our review indentified the cause which was a badly formatted entry getting into one of the authentication areas. This effectively was a typo. Once identified the entry was corrected and all authentication returned to normal. Going forward we will continue to run checks after changes have been made to ensure system operations.
- 11 March An issue was detected by the UPS concerning the power supply to campus. While not a cut in power, the voltage and frequency were outside of tolerance. Accordingly the system moved off mains supply and started the generator. Changeover was automatic and staff notified as it proceeded. Zero interruption to operations. Change-back was about ten minutes later once incoming supply from the grid was deemed stable.
- 17 December Brief power outage in supply to campus. UPS provided interim protection while generator fired up to cover supply. While the outage was under 5 seconds, it took about 20 minutes for things to stabilise 100%. During this time the UPS monitored the mains supply to see it was stable before moving back and shutting the generator down. All systems worked as intended with zero service interruption. .
- 29 November Annual oil change and check of Genset for IDC is being scheduled. It will be done when the likelihood of supply issues is minimal, eg one fine calm day.
- 21 November One of our storage servers went unavailable which affected e-mail for a number of clients for about 45 minutes between 9:45 and 10:30. We changed over to another storage server which acts as a backup. Our apologies for any inconvenience while the changeover took place. During this time e-mail coming in continued to do so via our Christchurch operations. We have reviewed the server which failed and have not been able to isolate root cause. We already planned to migrate off that server and will make this a higher priority in case the root cause was hardware related.
- 20 November Overnight stormy weather resulted in power supply to IDC flapping.
UPS protection did its job and generator cranked up also. Very wet day - staff have left site early to make it back into town.
- 17 November Continued tidying of cabling following SUPERFLICK going in.
Secondary firewall moved across to SUPERFLICK.
- 13 November Installation of SUPERFLICK. Click here for details.